ProSeaweed applies various lines of knowledge and innovations to maximise the value of seaweed:
- The selection and breeding of high-quality varieties;
- Optimal cultivation systems and optimal locations (to ensure the composition of the seaweed is as favourable as possible);
- Multiple processing of seaweed to ensure all components are optimally used at the highest possible economic value;
- Making seaweed products more appealing to consumers by developing attractive products and accessible information; and
- High-quality applications, such as the utilisation of nutritional value, reducing the use of antibiotics and applications for the pharmaceutical and cosmetics industries.
Wageningen University & Research has been carrying out research into issues such as the applications of seaweed, the economic feasibility of the sector and consumer acceptance for many years. The ProSeaweed programme is aimed at developing a comprehensive and sustainable seaweed sector in the Netherlands.